Sitka in March

Tell us what you think of Sitka! Thinking about moving here? Questions about Sitka? This is the place!
Lauren&Tom

Sitka in March

Post by Lauren&Tom »

Hello,

We will be visiting our niece at Mt. Edgecumbe in mid-March, and are looking for suggestions of what to see and where to go. What restaurants do you recommend? Are there any cultural shows in March? Are there nearby hikes or other excursions?

Any information is appreciated!
Thanks, Lauren
msdiehl

Re: Sitka in March

Post by msdiehl »

Visit the Channel Club! It just re-opened recently and has been extensively remodeled. Also, Little Tokyo has fabulous sushi! The chef is an artist.

As for hiking and outdoor activities, a short hike would be Mosquito Cove (at the end of HPR). Anything else could take a few extra hours. But there are plenty of nice small trails, such as Thimbleberry Lake and the Heart-Lake trail. I can't remember how many miles it is, but I'll bet it's beautiful this time of the year! That's out SMC road, just before Whale Park.
Lauren&Tom

Post by Lauren&Tom »

Thank you so much for these suggestions--we will make a point of trying them!!

Lauren
alaskanedge

Post by alaskanedge »

You'll find lot's of lovely walks and groomed trails in Sitka thanks to Sitka Trail Works. I would recommend Totem Park (see the movie and get a bit of history it's short and painless) There is also an excellent example of the local native artist's work there; not to mention the walk through the totems.

I'm a fan of Kenny's Wok, but all the local establishments are good. Lunch is the best bang for the buck if you're on a budget. It's a little earlier for the charters or tour boats, but you can hardly beat the view even from the road.