Looking to move to Sitka

Tell us what you think of Sitka! Thinking about moving here? Questions about Sitka? This is the place!
Zycie

Looking to move to Sitka

Post by Zycie »

I am a registered nurse looking to move to Sitka or Ketchican in the next 2 months. I have already applied for my license and expect to receive it soon. I have also begun to sell/donate/throw away all non-essential stuff. I am planning to move to Sitka with my 7 year old son. We have no pets, but we do have a 40lb, fully certified, service dog. We will be looking for a small 1-2 bedroom place. How hard will it be to find housing in the next couple of months? Does anyone know if the hospital will help you find a home if you are planning to move there permanantly and not just as a traveler? What is finding childcare like? What local banks are available? Is there a Wells Fargo?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Lovinsitka

Re: Looking to move to Sitka

Post by Lovinsitka »

Its easier to find homes for rent in the winter, but it really is a hit or miss. But you should be ok finding one within a reasonable amount of time. If you're looking at working at Searhc, they have a childcare center for the workers, but its slim pickins out there. Your son is old enough though, it'll be much easier to find before/after school childcare for him, it is expensive though. Sitka is a great place to raise a family, there's a ton of things for kids to do here. There's a Wells Fargo in town, along with a couple other banks, which I am blanking on the names right now. Not sure about the hospital, but I'm sure somebody will help you with your search, everybody is really friendly and welcoming here. Good luck!