Hatchery

Tell us what you think of Sitka! Thinking about moving here? Questions about Sitka? This is the place!
MBinAK

Hatchery

Post by MBinAK »

My husband attended the State Police Academy in Sitka 2 years ago. I took my two young children to visit him three times while he was there. WE LOVED IT. Our favorite place was the hatchery. Though it is small and not very decorated, my kids just loved touching the sea cucumbers and anemines (sp?). A very nice student-worker named James showed us all the eggs, fry, and small salmon....again, it was just AWESOME. We went almost every day just to "play" in the hands-on aquariums.
Again, don't pass it up just because it looks a little shabby-NEVER judge a book by its cover.
UAS_Sitka

Re: Hatchery

Post by UAS_Sitka »

She is referring to the Sitka Sound Science Center, which is located right downtown between Crescent Harbor and the Sitka National Historical Park. The center is undergoing a renovation, with expanded classes for kids and adults. In addition to the Sheldon Jackson Hatchery at the Sitka Sound Science Center, there is a much larger Medvejie hatchery operated by the Northern Southeast Regional Aquaculture Association (NSRAA) just past the end of Sawmill Creek Road. Usually there is a day in July where Medvejie hatchery hosts an open house and people can ride an Allen Marine boat to the hatchery for a tour and salmon bake (for the reasonable price of about $10 each).