Liquid Soap and Lotion making

Tell us what you think of Sitka! Thinking about moving here? Questions about Sitka? This is the place!
jumpingj

Liquid Soap and Lotion making

Post by jumpingj »

My Husband and I will be moving to Sitka in a few months. Currently, I have a small business in which I teach people how to make liquid hand soaps,body wash, lotions, lip balms etc. I provide all of the ingredients, containers, etc and guests measure, mix, fragrance, color, package and label the stuff. I have tons of different fragrances (Bath and Body Works and Victoria Secret types as well.) I am wondering if I should box up my stuff and bring it to Sitka or just sell it before we move up there.
Do you think there is an interest for this sort of thing in Sitka?
subversionx

WELL.......

Post by subversionx »

There are several places like that in sitka; the beauty shop, beauty and beyond, somethin-b&b, bla bla so on so forth. I'd say it's a real gamble, because that kind of stuff has already been done, but nobody really teaches it in sitka either. With a population of 8000 people, just consider how many people it would appeal to.

Hope this helps (probably not tho :()
~X

PS. Do you have any girls to go w/ that Victora Secret stuff?.. nvm :P
X4ND32

Logic and common sense need to make a come-back.
Terry K. Baines

Yeah go on up

Post by Terry K. Baines »

Hey, all sounds good to me. Who couldn't use more sweet smelling things? Especially if you can teach folks how to make them. Sounds fun to me. Good luck. :D
If Alaska is Heaven, then I have found my Angel.
bcnulaterwyo

Post by bcnulaterwyo »

jumpingj,

I would not sell everything- pack it up and bring it with you! If you do not have a large demand locally, you can sell via the internet.

We have many small manufacturers of the same trade in Wyoming who do almost all of their business on the web.

Don't quit a good thing!
:0)
Melissa

Post by Melissa »

I would definitely be interested in making my own soaps, etc. Hope you are still planning a move!
Mork

Post by Mork »

Here's the reality. Things to consider about bringing a bunch of soap maming supplies.
Pros: Gives you something to use as a link to new acquaintances
Possibly will provide an income, but I actually doubt it will.

Cons: It is costly to transport things to Sitka. You could be using valuable shipping money and space to bring things you will ultimately be stuck with or have to give away. However, it could be the opposite.

Wintersong Soap Company is well established here. So, people trst them and know them for buying handmade soaps. Your market will be instruction. This town has almost zero turn over in population so the people here are your permanent customers. Is a population of 8-9,000 (and 150,000 cruise passengers on very limited time walk throughs) enough to justify your business? THis is what you have to decide. My business instinct tells me you should consider it a hobby/opportunity for making new friends, and if it pays for itself great. However, keep in mind of what you cannot purchase here in Sitka and consider whether or not the space you use for soaps would be better served as space for something else. I am not trying to discourage you but offer insights that are realistic.