Looking to be an au pair / general assistant

Tell us what you think of Sitka! Thinking about moving here? Questions about Sitka? This is the place!
DarlaHane

Looking to be an au pair / general assistant

Post by DarlaHane »

Greetings!

My former career involved working with thousands of guests in multiple capacities. Most recently, I was also an au pair for a private family in Europe. I am now eager to help a family or couple in my home country (yes, Alaska counts!)--where I speak the language, understand (most!) of the culture, and love the traditions. I am drama-free, from the Midwest, and desire to join a family or couple long-term and live-in as an au pair or general assistant. I am most comfortable in small towns, but have also lived in some of the world’s largest cities.

I am well traveled, open to new cultures, and thrive from organization and responsibility. Most of my international experience comes from working at retreat centers with thousands of guests of various ages, economic, and political spheres. In my free time I enjoy fine arts, cooking, walking, writing, sewing, photography, global politics and economics, education, home DIY, quilting, and vintage design (I owned a vintage Vespa!). I love to start my mornings with coffee on the porch! I am experienced or certified as:
• Medical First Responder
• Teaching English as a Foreign Language
• Former day camp director

I don’t want…
• Having been in an awkward situation with a family, I now won’t be a buffer for a divorcing couple or un-healthy home-life
• To be completely removed from town or attractions

Would prefer…
• Newborns/young toddlers, one child, or couple without children (this is flexible if the situation is healthy)
• I would like to be within walking distance to town or attractions
• Involved and included as family
• At least one day off
• Very clear general daily communication about more than just the 'job', i.e. housing, meals, activities, etc.
• Clear communication about schedule, preferably written a few days in advance of need (although friendly daily communication makes this flexible--and I am very understanding of crazy home/family schedules!)
• Healthy and moderate levels of food, nature, and exercise in the home
• To work with Anderson Cooper. (A gal can dream...☺)

The best way to contact me is via email: millhousegirl@yahoo.com